Mini itinerary — Local
- Stop in at Perry’s Cider in Dowlish Wake to stock up on some fine Somerset ciders from this family farm who’ve been growing in the heart of the Somerset countryside since 1920 (https://www.perryscider.co.uk/our-story)
- Just a few miles further down the little road brings you to Ilminster. Park in the square and you’ll find fashion designer Alice Temperleys Somerset base. Among the beautiful clothes you’ll want to get your day going with a fine coffee and pastry (https://www.temperleylondon.com/gb/somerset)
- For the curious stop at Busbys little reclamation yard. You never know what treasure you might discover. (https://busbysreclamation.com/)
- History lovers will adore a stroll through the award winning gardens at Forde Abbey. The 900 year old former Cistertian monastery used in the filming of Thomas Hardys ‘Far from the Madding crowd’, offers the highest fountain in the country and pick your own Strawberry fields just down the road. (https://www.fordeabbey.co.uk/your-visit/)
- Dairy farms are a big part of the landscape in this part of the country so why not try you hand at making your own milkshake at the Winsham milk vending machine (https://www.facebook.com/Streetfarmdairywinsham/)
- Wind you way back through the lanes to our local town of Crewkerne. Stop for a delicious lunch in the Crooked Swan. Recently refurbished by our old school friends, the Campbells, you’ll find this beautiful old Hamstone hotel has masses of personality just like its owners. (https://crookedswan.com/eat/)
- Wander around the corner on a Saturday and search out the secret treat that is The Barley Sugar Bakehouse. French pastries and savouries that sell out quickly! (https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheBarleySugar)
- Next its back past the farm and on to the Trading Post farm shop where you can stock up on local Organic drinks, meats and cheeses. Fancy afternoon tea and cake? Take a seat in the quirky old railway carriage restaurant where you’ll always find a pile of homemade cakes. (http://www.tradingpostfarmshop.co.uk/)
- Dinner is a tricky choice between the award winning Lord Poulett arms only a mile and a half down the road in the honey coloured village of Hinton St George (https://www.lordpoulettarms.com/) or venture just a little further afield to Holm in South Petherton, the Somerset offering behind London restaurants Salon, Levan and Larry’s. Choose the tasting menu for real treat. (https://holmsomerset.co.uk/)
Our mini itineraries
Head over to Lyme Regis and start with breakfast at Swim. With uninterrupted views out to see, you’ll spot the brave sea swimmers and early morning walkers on the beach.
Our local lively market town full of great places to eat and a stones throw to the Jurassic coastline.
A 45 minute drive away from the site you can do a day trip to Bruton.